An exploding vape pen is being blamed for a Florida man’s death.
Tallmadge D’elia, 38, died almost two weeks ago at his home in Pinellas County after the pen exploded and caused a fire in an upstairs bedroom.
When firefighters discovered D’Elia, 45 percent of his body was covered in burns. The medical examiner says D’Elia’s cause of death is “accidental.”
A recent autopsy finds it was shrapnel from the pen and not the fire that killed him.
FEMA, which keeps statistics on e-cigarette incidents, says this is the country’s first e-cigarette death